httpd-users mailing list archives

From justken <just...@rogers.com>
Subject gaining access to my error logs.
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 07:49:03 GMT

hello

I develop perl scrips on my win2k server running apache, these are usually
uploaded to a standard ISP, which uses a modified form of apache and a
win2k/linux hybrid to host our clients web pages.

their perl interpreter is on the linux side of things, and a certain degree
of "conversion" is required before scripts working on my win2k box will
work on their system. secondly, i have recently discovered that perl mods'
they claim are installed, simply do not work, but throw errors when
including them "use this::mod;"
is there a way to determine what mod's our host has installed, without
talking to their juniour tech support for 2 hours, only to get an email
from their seniour tech asking "what mod's do you want? well let you know
if they are installed." and to check for the correct method of calling them
-- case sensitive?

however, they do not have any access to error logs, will not place the
directive into my virtual host to route them to my logs directory,
occasionally i have been able to have them email the contents of the log
file to me during a 24 hour period.
  I have tried to use an .htaccess file in my root directory, to override
the logging and direct the error to my log directory, however this has
failed (probably not allowed in the main config file.

1) is there a method to have apache direct the error logs to the browser,
instead of a log file?
2) is there a way to find the line number of the error without the error
logs? knowing where the error is, is usually sufficient.
3) is there a way to find out what the error is by checking the access logs
and comparing the numbers that it spits out... ie:
         31/Jan/2002:23:08:18 -0500] "POST
/cgi-bin/EditReady/editPageAct.pl HTTP/1.1" 200 1310 "http://www.gera
         01/Feb/2002:00:12:07 -0500] "POST
/cgi-bin/EditReady/editPageAct.pl HTTP/1.1" 200 1310 "http://www.gera
         01/Feb/2002:00:13:43 -0500] "POST
/cgi-bin/EditReady/editPageAct.pl HTTP/1.1" 200 1310 "http://www.gera
         01/Feb/2002:00:13:55 -0500] "POST
/cgi-bin/EditReady/editPageAct.pl HTTP/1.1" 200 1310 "http://www.gera
         01/Feb/2002:00:14:13 -0500] "POST
/cgi-bin/EditReady/editPageAct.pl HTTP/1.1" 500 532 "http://www.geral
         01/Feb/2002:00:20:12 -0500] "POST
/cgi-bin/EditReady/editPageAct.pl HTTP/1.1" 500 532 "http://www.geral
the 500 seems to correspond with the "internal server error" but what of
the 200 1310 and the 500 532?
is there some documentation on this?

I dread to ask, is there a way to force error logs to report to my
directory, without having my host jump all over my head? they claim the
reason for not having error logs is that they are "space consuming" and i
argue that the access logs are far more "space consuming" and a simple
script could be created to provide the same wonderful charts and graphs
that they provide us without the weight of the access logs. but without the
error logs, my time to implementation is often horribly exagerated, and
often i'm left guessing and pounding my head against a wall?

recently they have even disabled the command line interpreter, so sitting
on the phone while a techy manually runs the scripts on their server is no
longer possible, they claim...

finally, is it common for virtual hosting service providers to have such
limited access to these log files? i have started looking for a new hosting
company, that will provide us with the "standard" services, and  the
backbone that we require, but with more direct access to how our sites are
served, what mod's are installed, and what log files we can see.

I'm tempted to write a bot that scans their system for the httpd file, and
then edit it myself... but that would be bad.

ken easson
justken.net
justken@rogers.com
justken web programming and technical support.