httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Virtual directory for remote machine
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:57:09 GMT
> Valentina Rozov wrote:
>
> Hi, Owen
> Thank you for the fast answer.
>
> I tried to map my drives to the remote machine's directory.
> Lets say L:\   \\valen-ws\d$\temp
> And added to httpd.conf :
>
>      Alias /test1/ "L:/temp/"
>
>     <Directory "L:/temp">
>         Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
>         AllowOverride None
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Directory>
>
> In this case I get "File not found" error.
> What do you mean by "path to it is under the document root and
> allowed"? The document root is on another disk.

Actually, if you use Alias, you don't need to put the path under the
Docroot. If the L-disk is mounted on your machine and can be read by any
user then there should be no reason apache can't read it...

Your setup does have one potential bug - you are using trailing
slashes... If you read the documentation page for "Alias" it says:

> Note that if you include a trailing / on the url-path then
> the server will require a trailing / in order to expand the alias.
> That is, if you use Alias /icons/ /usr/local/apache/icons/ then
> the url /icons will not be aliased.

Try it without the trailing slashes, i.e.

	Alias /test1 "L:/temp"

I presume you then try to hit it with:

	http://your-server/test1

Rgds,