httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: mod_cgi kills CGI subprocesses after 3 seconds
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:00:38 GMT
> > From: dan kelley [mailto:dkelley@otec.com]
>
> > there's no clean way to stop apache from killing the CGIs once they close
> > stdout.

That's a bit like saying "... there's no clean way to let one process
hang the kernel in linux." ;-)

My point being, I think you might be missing one of apache's greatest
strengths - its ability to allow users to execute CGI programs without
risk of damaging the system. With apache, I've never seen memory leaks,
zombie processes (well - maybe once) or had to frequently restart the
server (ask anyone who maintains a IIS server - daily *reboots* are
required...). It achieves this largely through the child-server approach
whereby a host of children are spawned, allowed to serve a limited
number of requests, then die. In a sense, your apache server has always
just recently started.

I don't know what is wrong with forking a child if you need to finish
off some post-processing - it seems a lot less bother than tracking down
errant CGIs and squishing them. Frankly I'd not sleep at night knowing
that undead CGIs were whirring away on my server... gobbling up
memory... blocking ports...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.