httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Cannot get HTML pages from my Apache server
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:40:37 GMT
Patrick Atlas wrote:

> If someone could get me ideas about what happens with my Apache server.
>
> Apache 1.3.20 is installed on a Mandrake 8.1 Linux (french distribution), PC
> 450 Mhz, 256 Mo RAM, HD 20 Go. The PC is plugged on a local network, and the
> DSL router is configured to reach the web server from the internet.
> On the local host, I can get the pages, using localhost name or the loop
> address, even with the eth0 IP address. This PC can connect the www.
>
> But, when I want to reach the server from another PC on the local network
> (using local IP, localhost name, or the public URL), nothing happens. The
> access log shows that the first GET command is sent, then the server doesn't
> react anymore, and doesn't send any page. And the browser is waiting a long,
> long time...
>
> The ping command is working, PC exists on the local network. The httpd.conf
> and commonhttpd.conf are the default files, port 80 is opened, httpd is on.

Sounds like a network problem.

I assume both your internal machines (browser and server) are connected
to the router and, since the browser can ping the server, there is a
route via the router from the browser to the server.  But can the server
ping the browser machine? It could be the return path is not configured
correctly in the router.

What exactly does it say in the access log when the GET request is
*received*? Is there anything in the error_log?

Other things to look at on the server (as root):

# snoop port 80 (check traffic in and out)
# netstat -r (to see the routing table)
# ifconfig -a ( to check the IP addresses you're listening to).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.