httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Mac OS X Server: setting secure directory access
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:19:29 GMT
Dale wrote:

> This may be outside most people's experience here, but I thought I'd
> give it a shot.
>
> I am trying to password protect a specific web directory for browser
> access. I created the required passwordfile and htaccess file and put
> them where they belonged. But I don't get the standard prompt for
> user name and password. It tells me the directory doesn't exist. Take
> the htaccess out and it's accessible.

Probably it's referring to the path to the AuthUserFile...

> It's not a matter of changing the httpd.conf file. The user interface
> overrides it with it's own conf file.

What on earth does this mean? Apache is controlled by httpd.conf and a
subset of directives which can be used in .htaccess files - what "user
interface" do you mean?

In any case, in order to get it working, reduce the variables by running
without .htaccess and just put all the directives in httpd.conf (you can
do this - .htaccess is a convenience feature, not a necessity). Just do
something like:

<Directory /home/web/protected-dir>
    AuthType      Basic
    AuthName      "Protected Directory"
    AuthUserFile  /home/admin/protected.pwd
    Require       valid-user
</Directory>

These are the only crucial directives you need to activate
authentication. Check that the path to the AuthUserFile (which contains
the user/pass pairs) is correct and that the file is readable by apache.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle