httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Port-based Virtual Hosts
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:54:58 GMT
Darrel Austin wrote:

> > Port-based will kind-of work with the router setup you defined above but
> > the problem is that your URLs will be like http://domain1/ and
> > http://domain2:8080/ which is ugly, but worse, might not work in some
> > locations if an intermediate FW blocks non-standard ports like 8080.
>
> I wouldn't necessarily mind this. I'd be OK with that. The catch is, I'm not
> sure how to get http://domain2:8080 to show up. If I just send people to
> domai2:8080, would server 2, simply by listening to port 8080, know that it
> belongs to it? And, if so, would I then just set up port-based VHs on server
> 2?

Not really - remember that the IP address comes before the port number
in the grand scheme of things. You'd have to rely on your router to do
address translation. Say domain1 and domain2 both resolve to 11.22.33.44
(external) and your internal addresses are 192.168.0.1 ans 192.168.0.2.
Then your router would advertise to the web that it receives all
requests for 11.22.33.44 and then translate as follows:

11.22.33.44:80   <--> 192.168.0.1:80
11.22.33.44:8080 <--> 192.168.0.2:80

Note that the arrows are bi-directional: the router has to convert the
outgoing packets as well.. I've never used a router for this (usually,
it is a FW which does this kind of stuff).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.