httpd-users mailing list archives

From David McCabe <david.mcc...@mcgill.ca>
Subject Re: cgi/apache message
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:18:06 GMT
"Simison, Matthew" wrote:

> I have not been able to find out what is the cause of this error message in
> the error.log.
>
> 12)Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process:
> /www/place/cgi-bin/download.cgi
>
> it is completely random. The server is an E450, 4meg ram, 4 400MHz cpu, 20
> 18 gig drives.
> Solaris 2.6, apache 1.3.9, cpu's are not taxed and memory is fine.
>
> What "space" is it referring to?

Usually, this is referring to one of the "limits" imposed on the user running
the server. It could be a file limit, or a memory limit, etc, although that
looks like a "max number of processes" limit. Check with your sysadmin to see if
there are limits on the non-root users on the system. If there are, you will
need to set them higher for your webserver user. If you are the sysadmin, check
into the limit (and/or ulimit) command. You should have a man page for at least
one of them. :)

--
David McCabe                    Senior Systems Analyst
Network and Communications Services, McGill University

 - From RFC 1925: "(3)  With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure
where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under
them as they fly overhead."