httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: two apache's at a time ???
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:49:32 GMT
urz.faisalm@sat.net.pk wrote:

> hello !

If I can just add a little to Paul Bain's response...

> i have apache 1.3.20 already installed and i want to install apache 1.3.22.
>
> 1) Can they both be in my linux box togather.
>
> 2) When i install 1.3.22 will it do anything with the previous version ?
>
> 3) If i install it at the same path of previous version wat will happend ?
>
> 4) If i install it at any different location as that of previous one...
> is it fine...???
>
> If Yes...then..../etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
>
> which one will start with this...?

Since you ask this question you must have configured apache to start at
boot. The file "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd" is a shell-script which will
execute the apache binary (usually "/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd"). If
you install your new apache in the default location so that it
overwrites the old apache then you do not need to change anything with
this script and, when you reboot, new apache will start.

If you install new apache in a new location, then this script will not
be aware of the change and will continue to start the old apache.

If you want it to start the new apache in a new location, you need to
edit it so that the shell variable ${HTTPD} points to your new apache
binary.

> 5) Can it be possible that i install 1.3.22 and it just upgrade the previous version
?

> If Yes...how ?

Yes, it is possible - but it depends on your existing installation. If
you install apache from the tarball, by default all the apache stuff is
installed in /usr/local/apache. However, most Linux distributions put
apache in a different location. So if you simply install a new apache in
the default location, it will NOT overwrite the old apache.

> 6) Is it good to install 1.3.22 over 1.3.20 or just leave the previous version.

1.3.22 is the current stable version of apache. There is no risk in
installing it as your primary server. There is no need to keep the older
version hanging around (you can always get it from the apache site if
you want it).

If you want to upgrade, my advice would be to:

- copy your existing httpd.conf to somewhere safe, e.g. your user's home
directory,
- seek out and remove all existing apache files from your system,
- download the latest 1.3.22 tar file and unpack it in /tmp,
- configure, make and install it in the default location (i.e.
/usr/local/apache),
- move your saved httpd.conf into /usr/local/apache/conf, so that it
overwrites the default httpd.conf.

Now, the command "/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd" will start the new
version with config file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf.

If you want apache to start at boot, find the symbolic link "S99apache"
which is probably in /etc/rc3.d (do 'find /etc -name "S*apache"' to
locate it) and change it so that S99apache ->
/usr/local/apache/apachectl. Now, during boot, when you get to run-level
3, init will execute S99apache with the argument "start" and apache will
fire up.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle