httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Apache and WAP
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:40:50 GMT
Chendra Allen wrote:

> Basically I need to know:
>
> Can Apache serve WML, WMLScript to WAP devices ?
>
> I'm going to write an application with Apache serving the HTML pages
> made with Perl CGI scripts and want to have the application create WML
> pages also.
> I read in one place that WML etc. are just another MIME type.
> I also read that WAP is based on HTTP.
> Are these statements true ?
> Is there a module for serving WML pages with Apache ?
> Has anybody got Apache serving WML ?

WML is just another mark-up language. Apache can serve it as easily as
it serves HTML files or GIFs or MPG or whatever. The mime-type is needed
by the client so it knows what data to expect. To serve WML files you
just need to set up a virtual host serving those files - just like
another HTML site. It is the client who will process the WML files and
display them. E.g.

<VirtualHost wap.server.com>
  ServerName wap.server.com
  DocumentRoot /home/wap-stuff/wml
</VirtualHost>

For our wap service, we added:

# WAP mime-types
# --------------
text/vnd.wap.wml                wml
text/vnd.wap.wmlscript          wmls
image/vnd.wap.wbmp              wbmp
application/vnd.wap.wmlc        wmlc
application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc  wmlsc

to mime.types (though you probably only really need the first line).

As regards how it works - it is not the WAP client (e.g. mobile phone)
which contacts your server directly! Rather, the client contacts a WAP
gateway (using wireless application protocol) and the gateway (which is
a computer) contacts your server using HTTP. Usually, the WAP gateways
are provided by the mobile-phone operators.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.