httpd-users mailing list archives

From Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>
Subject Re: documentation suggestions
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:13:53 GMT
Mark Constable wrote:

> Now, what the httpd.apache.org very definitely could do with is
> adopting the php.net/manual concept of allowing focussed user
> contributions on every manual page. That system is absolutely
> brilliant and I'm at a loss to understand why it's not more
> universally adopted by other projects. Perhaps it's spinoff of
> the ease-of-use and mind set of PHP users that makes it feasible.
> Fully 1/2 the value (to me) of that doc system is what other
> users have contributed (particularly examples) over the last
> year or so.

I totally agree!
Let me give an example:
using the squid proxy over all the years I've just decided to have a
look into Apache's proxy module since I may have more Windoz customers
this year who can live with that cache - and it's not all that exciting
to install cygwin and running squid on a win box, works, was tested,
some problems with Wins (DNS).
Looking into the doc for mod_proxy I was really missing something like
on the php-sites,
examples of users, how they experience this module.
Even I wasn't sure for some minutes what port I should/can use
(use your webbrowser's search function looking for port on the site <:).
the best configuration examples finally I've found within my Apache book
(Lars Eilebrecht)
But not everybody has in every situation a good book in the hand :-
the idea of letting Apache users adding comments like on the php-site is
simply great!
--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum