httpd-users mailing list archives

From Admin <ad...@hostingohio.com>
Subject Re: help with user directories and virtual hosts
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:30:41 GMT
Yeah I've read both.  Neither really addresses my need.  I opened up the
lines in httpd.conf (global section) which control access to user
directories ( ~/username/) and I tried adding a line to one virtual host as
follows:

UserDir /home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html

With the hope that I could just type:

www.shmoe.com/public_html

and get back a plain text list of files in that directory, but it didn't work.

At 01:44 PM 1/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>> I'm doing name based virtual hosting with Apache 1.3.19 on a Red Hat 7.1,
>> intel based, box.
>>
>> I would like to add something like a publi_html directory to each user's
>> webpage space.  Something like:
>>
>> /home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html
>>
>> where user 'joe' has a webpage named 'www.shmoe.com' and he can use the
>> public_html directory to put files in for stuff like anonymous downloads.
>> I tried doing some editing of my httpd.conf file to get this done, but I'm
>> obviously not doing something right.  Is there a simple way I can
>> accomplish this without getting into re-write rules?
>
>Have you read the information on how to set up named virtual host?
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html
>
>If the problem is that you have many users you may want to have a look at:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/mass.html

Admin
admin@hostingohio.com
www.hostingohio.com