httpd-users mailing list archives

From "TD - Sales International Holland B.V." ...@salesint.com>
Subject Re: 403 Forbidden Access
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:03:48 GMT

the /home/user DIR!! needs executable (so other uses are allowed to cd into
it) R is not needed as they don't need to see the files in there
same with the www dir only there the R is needed so the webserver user (thus
the user the webserver runs at) can list the files. The files in the www dir
and it's subdirs should have RW(x) permission for the user (the /home/user)
so he can read/write files into there then you can either be security
conscious and set the group to to the group the webserver runs at and give it
R access so the webserver can read it and give all others user --- (no
rights) or you can leave the group on users or whatever group your users are
in and make all other users have R permission so they can read the files

so if the user is dude/users and apache is running as apache/websrv you could
set the files to
/home/dude rwx (dude) --x (users) --x (others)
/home/dude/www rwx (dude) r-x (websrv) --- (others)
/home/dude/www/<filename> rw- (dude) r-- (websrv) --- (others)

for example

regards