httpd-users mailing list archives

From jon schatz <...@divisionbyzero.com>
Subject Re: Memory leak issue?
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:02:15 GMT
On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 12:52, Kevin DeGraaf wrote:
> Background: I'm running a fresh build of Apache 1.3.22 (no external
> modules)
<--snip-->
> If it makes any difference: we just deployed an e-commerce application,
> developed in-house in Perl, on a very busy vhost.  I thought that Perl
> automatically reclaims data-structure memory.

are you using mod_perl or vanilla cgi-scripts? either of these could
cause this problem. for example (iirc), under mod_perl, you _must_ close
all your file handles, or else you can get memory leaks / segfaults /
problems, whereas a normal cgi script will gracefully handle the close()
for you..

-jon

--
jon@divisionbyzero.com || www.divisionbyzero.com