httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hasko.Heine...@daedalos.de
Subject Complex Access Control
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:54:04 GMT
Hi,

here is a problem that looks so common to me that I believe there must be pre-fab solution,
but I found none.

Let's say you have a web site with some (static) content. Now most of this content is only
valid from a given start date to and end date. The dates are stored in a database. I want
to configure Apache so whenever a URL is requested, it checks (via a servlet) whether the
given URL contains currently valid contents. If it is, it serves the request. Otherwise, an
HTTP error is returned. What is the simplest way to do that with Apache?

Some remarks to the problem:

(1) The site admins need to manipulate invalid contents, so I do need to be able to put content
into my doc root before it becomes valid, and to leave it there after it became invalid. So
simply deleting invalid contents is not possible.

(2) The actual access checks could be more complex than just checking for dates. Also, I already
have an app server running, so using a servlet to do the checks would fit nicely in the overall
picture.

Hasko Heinecke
Daedalos Consulting AG, Z├╝rich