httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Spencer <ben.spen...@moody.edu>
Subject Cookie logging
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:44:04 GMT
We are beginning to become interested in tracking users around the website to
see where they went, as well as get an idea of who they are (without lots of
digging and comparing data). We have two seperate things we would like to do:

1) Just do some general tracking of a user through the website. Mod_usertrack
and/or mod_track would work out well for that. I need to log this info to the
access_log, which I believe both modules do fairly simply

2) record what information is in the User's Cookies. This is most useful for
tracking a specific user through the website to see how they specifically
went through:

example: Say we have an ecommerce site, and the user must log in before they
can purchase what they want. We want to be able to capture their login ID
(which is in a cookie) and track them through the site via that ID.

That might be a poor example, so here is another..

example: Say we have some a number of computers in our Library which any
student can go up to and use. We also have an Intranet Portal which the
students use primarly to get around. Before the student can do anything
useful, they must first log into that portal. We want to catch their login ID
(which is in a cookie), so that we can better determine where they went on
ourwebsite (and at what point they left/came back).

Does anyone know of a way/module which will capture/record the user cookies
as they go to/from the server?

thanks
benji

---