httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Herb Stein" <h...@herbstein.com>
Subject Re: VHosts and SSL
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:39:57 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Constable" <markc@renta.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: VHosts and SSL

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:11, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> > page.  I don't get the page that is displayed on the http port.  I
tried
> > putting the "SSLEngine on" directive in the VirtualHost block and
the
> > only change is it asks for my password on the cert.
> >
> > It's got to be something stupid I know.  Care to beat me upside
the
> > head with a blunt object?
>
> Well you asked for it :)
>
> This is perfectly correct behaviour as NameVirtualHosts
> will not work with SSL. The necessary "Host" header is
> not available to apache via an https URL so it cannot
> figure out what vhost you are trying to go to, so defaults
> to the first configured vhost on the same IP.
>
> You can only get what you are after by supplying different
> IPs for each vhost. I know, it's a bummer.
>
> --markc

The few SSL client sites I host get there on one of my servers which
has a static IP address. If they don't like that, they have to pay for
certificate and I'll give them a unique IP. No one has asked for that
yet. I charge nothing extra if they do it my way. It's just part of
the
service. I eat the $125 or so for the certificate.

Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group
www.herbstein.com
herb@herbstein.com