httpd-users mailing list archives

From <li...@altahost.com>
Subject RE: Apache and windows
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 04:29:39 GMT
Thanks. Your post solved my problem. Took me just a couple of seconds to
change the http.conf file and I was able to access via 127.0.0.2 then I
had to change the hosts file so I can alias a name to the ip.

Works great.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Grace [mailto:rubein@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 4:18 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache and windows

Your best bet is to try to ping the domain. (start->run->PING
somedomain.com) If this doesn't work, chances are you don't have the
domain itself configured right -- Apache never responds bcause it never
gets the request in the first place)

If this doesn't work, chances are the domain isn't configured properly.
The domain you use must still be a valid domain name -- at least, as far
as both Apache and the client (in this case, the same machine) are
concerned.

if it's just for testing, the actual domain name does not matter. Thus,
you may be able to simply do IP-based virtual hosting and use 127.0.0.2,
127.0.0.3, etc.

If THAT doesn't work and you don't have any way of doing the appropriate
DNS modifications (can't run a DNS server or don't have access to one,
etc.), consider modifying your HOSTS file
(C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)
and adding in the domain name(s) you are testing. (Note this will only
work on your machine, and if they correspond with a real domain you
won't be able to access the real ones as long as the entries are in this
file. I fancy using the bogus ".lan" top-level domain (e.g. testing.lan,
valhalla.lan) for internal use inthis manner.)

-- Daniel Grace