httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Robinson" <pet...@opensystems.net.au>
Subject Bind Address Problem
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:44:37 GMT
Hi All,

I have an apache 1.3.20 server that I'm having some problems with it binding
to a particular address.

OK so here's a rough outline of the system.

Rehat 6.2 (SMP machine) running apache 1.3.20 with mod_ssl 1.8.4
We have one network card with three IP addresses bound to eth0 eth0:0 and
eth0:1. We only want apache to bind to the IP address running on the eth0
interface so in the config file I specify this with the config line

BindAddress 1.2.3.4

But it doesn't just bind to that IP address it binds to all the IP
addresses -> the three interfaces and lookback and everything else. ie if I
do a netstat -ap command it returns

tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN
31451/httpd
tcp        0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN
31451/httpd

instead of

tcp        0      0 www:www                   *:*                     LISTEN
31451/httpd
tcp        0      0 www:https                 *:*                     LISTEN
31451/httpd

if it was just binding to the address we specify.

The reason I need to do this is I need to be able to bind a different
process to port 80 and 443 on the other IP address range that its running.

We are running a number of Virtual hosts with the NameVirtualHost and
appropriate sections.

Does any one have any ideas as this is driving me nuts.

Regards
Peter

Peter Robinson                               Senior Consultant
Open Systems Support                 peterr@opensystems.net.au
97 Broadway, Nedlands WA 6009
Ph (08) 92848777                             Fax (08) 93869833