httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Apache 2 directory/files
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:34:04 GMT

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Jobarr wrote:

> For some reason, with apache 2 (at least 2.0.30-dev) it gives me a 404
> page. This must be a problem with Apache because any file with a "/"
> after it gives a 404 error instead of displaying that file.
> "/index.html/text" would display "index.html" with 1.3.22, but it just
> gives a 404 in Apache 2.
>
> Is this a "feature" or bug of Apache 2? Can it be changed?

Hmmm.  This could be a result of the fact that PHP is now a filter rather
than a handler.  PATH_INFO (the stuff beyond the real filename) is allowed
only for dynamic-content handlers.  In other words, you can't tag stuff
onto a plain html file.  Now that PHP is a filter, the file it is
processing may no longer be considered dynamic, so it may not get the
PATH_INFO.  I'll forward this over to the development list to see if they
have any ideas.

If you want, however, I can suggest some work-arounds using AliasMatch or
or mod_rewrite to turn the PATH_INFO into QUERY_STRING.  Something like:

RewriteRule ^/en(.*) /path/to/real/script?$1

Of course, you'll need to change your scripts to look in QUERY_STRING
instead of PATH_INFO, which could be a real pain.

Joshua.