httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: .htaccess being ignored
Date Sun, 09 Dec 2001 00:18:27 GMT

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Darren wrote:

> AuthName "private matters"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/apache/users
> AllowOveride AuthConfig
> # Satisfy All
> <limit POST>
> require valid-user
> </limit>

Remove the <limit POST> and </limit> lines, unless you want to ALLOW the
other methods (GET PUT DELETE, etc).

> The parts of httpd.conf that I think are relevant for anyone helping me
> troubleshoot are:
>
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/htdocs/private">
>         AllowOverride none
> </Directory>

Why is AllowOverrid set to "none"?  As you just mentioned, the FAQ says it
needs to be set to "all" or at least "authconfig".

Another thing to mention is that it is not necessary to use .htaccess at
all.  You can just take the auth stuff from above (without the <limit>
crap) and include it directly in the <directory> section.

Joshua.