httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Use of Apache for Remote Control -
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2001 19:00:20 GMT

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Frank Peavy wrote:
> My intent is to use Python to send data to my serial port. Running Python
> programs when I am at the keyboard is not an issue, but if I wanted to
> initiate them through a website, that's where I am lost.

There are several ways to run python programs through apache, including
special modules that do this.  However, since your requirements seem
rather basic and you are just getting started, I highly recommend you
simply use the Common Gateway Interface (CGI).  This is a standard
specification for how external programs should interface with a web
server, and it will work in pretty much every web server.  It simply
defines how to pass data from a web form to a program, and how to return
data from the program to the web client.  For details on how to configure
apache to use cgi:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/cgi.html

For details on learning to use CGI, there are tons of references.
Google is always a good starting point:
http://www.google.com/search?q=python+cgi
Or you can look at the basic CGI specification:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#cgi-spec

Joshua.