httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite better for this?
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 01:37:30 GMT

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Kyle wrote:

> I have two virtual host domains.  One redirects to the other, and both
> are available with and without the www. in front of the domain name.
> I've included part of my httpd.conf below.  It *works*, but it's very
> cumbersome to maintain (read I'm adding more domains in this same
> configuration and want a simpler method).  I was wondering if
> mod_rewrite + ServerAlias is a better way to go for ease of setup &
> use.  If so, how would I accomplish the same task as is shown below?
> Thanks.

My personal opinion is that you are better off not using mod_rewrite if
you can avoid it.  mod_rewrite is incredibly powerful, but it is also
incredibly complicated, and that can lead to problems.  So if you already
need to use mod_rewrite, then sure, go ahead and use it to do this.
Otherwise, I recommend sticking with the <virtualhost>/Redirect method.

If you are adding LOTS more domains, then eventually you may want to use
mod_rewrite or mod_vhost_alias to make the process easier.  But for a
small (say, less than 20) number, I wouldn't bother.

Joshua.