httpd-users mailing list archives

From sherzodR <sherz...@cgi101.com>
Subject RE: How do you keep track of logins?
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:05:59 GMT

There is a CGI::Session module available at CPAN, which is built to solve
the statelessness of the HTTP :). Its actually build on Apache::Session by
Jeffrey Baker, but has much better OO interface (resembles CGI.pm)

The documentation also has several examples too.

I also have an article on managing login with CGI::Session at
http://www.ultracgis.com/articles/cgiauth/index.html . I haven't got any
feedbacks yet.

Joshua Slive wrote:

  joshua:
  joshua: > From: Lamar Seifuddin [mailto:lamarts@flash.net]
  joshua:
  joshua: > I'm trying to keep track of the number of
  joshua: > logins:
  joshua: >
  joshua: > I'm using the standard mod_auth with .htaccess, etc.
  joshua: >
  joshua: > counter.cgi script I wrote, isn't "tied" to login,
  joshua: > just to the webpage.  I can "refresh" all day long and
  joshua: > it counts.
  joshua: >
  joshua:
  joshua: HTTP, and HTTP basic auth in particular, is a stateless protocol.  There is
  joshua: no concept of being logged in and logged out.  If your browser sends the
  joshua: correct password, it gets the resource.  Your browser must send the password
  joshua: every time.  It just happens that it remembers the password for you so you
  joshua: don't have to retype it every time.  So in other words, every hit is a
  joshua: login.
  joshua:
  joshua: If you need to track unique users, you must use cookies or session ID's
  joshua: embedded in the URL.
  joshua:
  joshua: Joshua.
  joshua:
  joshua:
  joshua: ---------------------------------------------------------------------
  joshua: The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
  joshua: See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
  joshua: For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
  joshua:

--
Sherzod Ruzmetov <sherzodr@ultracgis.com>
http://www.UltraCgis.com, Consultant

01001010010000010101000001001100

| There is nothing wrong with your tools.|
| But we can make a better one.          |