httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ronald Landheer" <ronald.landh...@minisat.com>
Subject RE: [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:12:05 GMT
Here's some additional info - rather strange, but true.
If I run 'httpd' from the command line, it works like a charm, but if I
run it through the script (/etc/init.d/httpd start) it died shortly
after starting..
There are no files left behind by httpd anywhere under /var..

Pointers?

Thanx!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald Landheer [mailto:ronald.landheer@minisat.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 10:32
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
port 80

Hello all,

I tried a Google search for this one, but only found an answer in
Chinese (I don't speak Chinese) and a "How not to kill httpd"..
.. and some stuff that didn't apply :(

httpd starts from /etc/init.d/httpd start - says OK and everything, but
then dies with "[crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
bind to port 80" left in the log (snipped the time & date). I have it
running on another server and don't see any real differences between
config files. When an intern started it badly (running httpd in stead of
/etc/init.d/httpd) it worked for a while.

When it dies, it leaves a file in /var/run called httpd.mm.<a
number>.sem - removing that file doesn't help.

Running RedHat 7.2 OOTB on a freshly installed server..

If you have any pointers, please tell me.

Thanx!

Ronald