httpd-users mailing list archives

From "W i l l y" <willyr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: CGI in users own dirs
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:51:48 GMT
>W i l l y wrote:
> > Yeah I have SetHandler.  However, if I use +ExecCGI, I get the 403
> > forbidden, with the error being 'ExecCGI is off in this directory'.  If
> > use ExecCGI without the + I get an internal error, premature end of
>script
> > headers.
> >
> > Yes Allow from all is in there, but this really has me confused now,
>because
> > the + in front of the ExecCGI shouldn't make a difference, should it?
>
>I rather think it might... Read very carefully the section on "Options"
>in the docs to see what the point of the "+" is.
>
>Briefly, if you don't have a "+" options directives which apply to the
>same directory are NOT combined - instead, the latest one is taken. If
>there is "+", then the options are combined e.g.
>
>Options ExecCGI
>Options Indexes
>
>means the directory only gets "Indexes" but not ExecCGI. However:
>
>Options ExecCGI
>Options +Indexes
>
>means it gets both.
>
>I suspect you have another Options directive at the same level which has
>"-ExecCGI" so when it gets "Options +ExecCGI" applying to the same
>directory, you get a conflict (it is not clear how the Options would be
>resolved in this case). If you do "Options ExeCGI" (without the "+") the
>second directive will override the first and the script will execute.
>
>If you can't find the  "-ExecCGI", use the second method which leads to
>the "premature end of script headers" - that proves that the program is
>executing. To see what output is being produced, test the script through
>the server from the command line. i.e.
>
>$ telnet server-name 80
>GET /~user/cgi-bin/hello.cgi HTTP/1.0
>
>(followed by two returns)
>and see what comes out.

Okay I tried to find any other ExecCGI in the document, but I did not have
any luck, so I tried to see what output I got directly from the server.
Basically it said 'The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request', and that I should check the error logs, which still say
'Premature end of script headers.'

Thanks for your help anyway