httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: .htaccess syntax
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:31:11 GMT

> From: Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy [mailto:jean-gabriel@duquesnoy.de]

> I am using since some time Apache with PHP and mod-ssl, and now I need
> to secure some subdirectories with username and password. As far as I
> know this can be done using the .htacces files. My problem is, that even
> after looking for days through the documentation, the FAQ, the archives
> and all the stuff I could find on the web, I have still no ideas how such
> an .htaccess file should look like, and what the syntax of such a file is.

First .htaccess is simply a method for distributed configuration management;
it has nothing directly to do with authentication.  You can use .htaccess
for authentication, but you certainly don't need to.  If you are the server
administrator, you are better off just putting everything in an appropriate
<directory> section in httpd.conf.

Second, it looks like you are looking for a tutorial.  There is one in the
apache docs:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html
and there are several others linked from there:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/tutorials.html

Let us know if you have questions after reading some of that.

Joshua.