httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: http 1.0 vs. http 1.1
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:13:44 GMT

> From: Raymond Popowich [mailto:popowich@section-one.cc]

> The first thing that comes to mind is name virtual hosting.  From what I
> have read 1.1 requests are required for this to work because only the
> 1.1 requests pass a domain name to the web servers.

No.  Name-virtual hosting requires the Host: header, which is *required* by
HTTP/1.1, but can be used just as well in HTTP/1.0.  As long as your
firewall doesn't do REALLY stupid things like stripping the Host: header,
things should be fine.

> Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Getting a better firewall or better firewall administrators or better
web-publishing software?  It seems like you are swinging a pretty big axe to
get rid of a few problems in frontpage.  HTTP/1.1 has many extra features
over HTTP/1.0 that allow for better performance, caching, etc.

Joshua.