httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Carl Carpenter" <ccarpen...@hillcountry.org>
Subject RE: htaccess and winbind
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:06:10 GMT
What am I trying to avoid is duplicating accounts and extra passwords.  As I
understand it, by using htpasswd, I have to create a user account on the
Linux server and assign it a password.  By using winbindd, I am able to use
the NT PDC on my network to validate logons to the Linux server.  I would
like the users to be able to use the same password (which I don't know).
Winbindd, however, doesn't create a passwd or group file.

Carl Carpenter
IT Manager
Hill Country Community MHMR Center
"Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1986, Windows 2000"

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy [mailto:jean-gabriel@duquesnoy.de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 9:59 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: htaccess and winbind

You need to create the password file using the password utility that is
included with apache. You should find it in your bin directory beneath
the Apache directory or in the directory where you have installed the
binaries of Apache.
It is called password. I do not remember completely the syntax but with
the command ./password --help you will have all information you need to
create your password file. Just remember the location where you put it
to point to it in your .htaccess file.

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy
e-mail: jean-gabriel@duquesnoy.de
http://www.duquesnoy.de