httpd-users mailing list archives

From Darrel Austin <daus...@visi.com>
Subject Re: cannot access pages except from my box
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:40:11 GMT
on 12/21/01 10:24 AM, Darren at backdoc@crotchett.com wrote:

> This just went over my head.  But, I'm wondering, can't you run apache on a
> different port?  If you were able to work something like that out, would
> users have to specify yourdomain.com:some_port?  Or, could DNS handle that
> for you?

I'm a complete newbie to all of this, so someone please correct me if I am
wrong, but from the research I've done recently (in trying to get two
servers set up behind one IP) DNS can not handle port mapping.

Personally, this seems to be a big omission from the overall workings of the
internet.

I've been trying to figure out how to run two physical servers behind one IP
address. The consensus seems to be that you can't, unless you want to mess
with some complex load-balancing systems, or run a proxy server outside of
your LAN. The only real solution is to get a second routable IP
address--which doesn't fix the particular problem you are having.

One thought: could you set up domain forwarding? Have some ISP set up
yourdomain.com to point at youripaddress:8080 or something? (Or is that
basically dns?)

Again, if this is incorrect, someone please jump in.

-Darrel