httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lawrence, Sean" <slawre...@seveninteractive.com>
Subject Srtting up permissions questions
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:18:19 GMT
Does anyone know if it is possible to set up password protection based on
user or group ownership of a file in Apache?

For example  we have a user who is called project1 and we want Apache to
prompt for that users username and password when accessing directories owned
by that user.

Right now we have all of our folders under the ownership of a single user
and use htaccess to limit it, but that method is getting a bit unwieldy. I
am going to be rebuilding our server soon and want to reorganize apache to
use a system where Apache runs using the username such as htpub and a group
called web.

I would then set up users for each client project so I can setup individual
ftp accounts for each user.

I would then set up the vhost for our client sites to use the user home
directories as the docroots.

I know this will all work EXCEPT for the password protection issue.  I will
be setting up the new server soon, but I wanted to see if anyone has set
anything like this up.

Thanks,

Sean