httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyce, Nick" <nick.bo...@eds.com>
Subject RE: setup apache account
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:32:19 GMT
On 4Dec2001 Li Tan asked :

> Hi, I created a user and make its home directory /var/www and changed the
> directory ownership, however the web doesnot work and is forbidden. Why?
> what should I do?

You'll get the "forbidden" response for any one of a number of different
types of permissions problems.  It will help us if you post the output from
    ls -la /var/www         and        ls -lad /var/www

We'd probably need to see the relevant parts of your httpd.conf as well (the
"<Directory ....>" sections).

You should be able to see an error message in /var/log/httpd/error_log
saying what kind of permission problem is occurring.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK