httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fred Koschara <wfr...@L5Development.com>
Subject Re: I'm being scanned... What do I do?
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:47:16 GMT

I've been working on this, effectively continuously, since Daniel Lopez
<daniel@rawbyte.com> sent the link to the Apache::MSIISProbes module at
http://www.tonkinresolutions.com/software/perl/Apache/MSIISProbes/ on Sun,
30 Dec 2001 10:15:41 -0800.

Why did it take so long?  I didn't have mod_perl installed on my server,
and had to find a bunch of other modules required both by mod_perl itself,
and by Apache::MSIISProbes.  In addition, the mod_perl test scripts have
been broken by the latest version of libwww-perl, and I had to figure out
how to make the tests work.  (Thanks to Gisle Aas of ActiveState.com for
answering about the problems I was having getting URI::URL recognized in
the test.pm and hooks.t modules.)  I use a custom configuration script to
build Apache, and had to figure out how to integrate mod_perl into it, and
into the httpd.conf module list, neither of which are documented anywhere I
can find - I adapted some of the work I did in setting up PHP.  I would
write a checklist procedure for doing the whole process, but it's left me
exhausted by now, and tomorrow there will be other dragons that need
slaying, so I suspect I'll never get back to writing the documentation.

During the afternoon, I also looked at Earl Bird v2.6, another reporting
option found at http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/earlybird/ which I did not
finish installing.  In retrospect, considering the amount of effort needed
to get mod_perl working, I think Early Bird would have been a better
choice.  Its problem, in my opinion, is that it requires that "ExecCGI" is
enabled for your document root - which is not necessarily the best security
position.  It is, however, a fairly self-contained package, and would have
been relatively easy to install if I hadn't already been waist-deep into
the mod_perl setup.  I also think Early Bird's reporting facilities are
better, if the documentation is correct.

Apache/*nix is safe from infection by the IIS worms, it's true, but the
worms do plug up the network with their traffic, as well as filling our
logs.  It's in our best interest to let the infected system's
administrators know they've got a problem, so using one of these tools is
highly recommended, IMHO.

-- Fred Koschara, President
    L5 Development Group

For private sector (commercial) space development, visit
	http://www.L5Development.com
L5 Software Development - "out of this world" sites and software
	http://www.L5Software.com
StudioLines.com - Your place on the Internet for local music
	Music, feedback, connections. Tap the power of the Internet!
	http://www.StudioLines.com
How much did your last traffic ticket cost you?
	http://www.StopHighwayRobbery.com
ThmIndxr(tm), the *only* HTML thumbnail/indexer you need!
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?ThmIndxr
wCapLock(tm), makes CapsLock work like it does on a typewriter
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?wCapLock
KeywordGo(tm), provides keyword access to your popular pages
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?KeywordGo
BannerAds(tm), join multiple affiliate programs with one banner
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?BannerAds
My personal Web page is http://www.L5Development.com/wfredk
	Stop by some time!