httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Michelizzi <mich0...@d.umn.edu>
Subject Re: cannot access pages except from my box
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:13:51 GMT
Chad Morland wrote:

> Three simple letters... NAT ;)
>
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, George Gallen wrote:
>
> > Or you could buy a cheap netgear or such firewall that
> > has port mapping built it. You assign it the IP address (Internet)
> > and configure it to remap to a certain IP address based
> > on port # (on the LAN side of the firewall)
> >
> > It works great, and it's cheap and easy to setup
> >
> > George

Both are interesting ideas, but I don't know if they'd work in my
situation.  My problem is that packets sent from somewhere out on the
Internet that are destined for port 80 on my ip address are filtered out
by my service provider.  My machine itself is perfectly happy accepting
packets on port 80; the problem seems to be that the extended LAN I'm
hooked to intentionally drops these incoming packets.  The solution
would be to address the incoming packets to a different port before they
arrive at the network I'm connected to ... but how?  It seems this would
require my having another ip address out there somewhere acting as a
proxy of sorts.