httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: cannot access pages except from my box
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:18:16 GMT
Jason Michelizzi wrote:

> One more curious thing:  I tried telling the ssh daemon to listen to
> port 80 on my Linux box.  When I tried logging into my machine from a
> different machine, it hung up forever (or at least for several minutes
> until I hit Ctrl-c).  When I did the same thing to port 79 (as well as
> the usual 22) everything worked fine.  Interesting.

Hanging forever is usually a FW configuration effect - the FW is set to
"drop" the packets. This is the best defence against hackers who try
scanning ports etc. because they don't know how long to wait between
tries. If it were set to "reject" the packets you would get an immediate
"connection refused" and the hacker-prog could try a new port.

So, double-check your FW config. Try changing any "drop" rules to
"reject" and see if the behaviour changes, or add "log" to any drop
rules and then look in the FW log to see if the attempts are logged.

If not that, snoop on the webserver to see if the requests are arriving:

# snoop port 80

should see something...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.