httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: setting up apache to read .htaccess
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:36:47 GMT
Matthew Kalastro wrote:

> Apache 1.3.22 isn't seeing my .htaccess files, and I think I've got the config
> correct.  It's readable by apache.  Are there other config directives that
> effect .htaccess files?
>
>     AllowOverride All
>     AccessFileName .htaccess

Could be a few things:

- Check that the directives you want to use are actually allowed in the
context of .htaccess.

- AccessFileName can't go in a <Directory> container, but since you have
set this to its default value, this probably doesn't matter.

- AllowOverride has to go in a <Directory> container, so the directives
you quote above should never be consecutive as you have shown.

- Multiple <Directory> containers which refer to the same directory
(even by inheritance) are combined according to a logical set of rules.
If you are not aware of the rules, you may get a surprise. Basically,
more specific <Directory>s override less specific and those at the same
level are processed in order (so last is most important). So, do you
have another <Directory> container which is switching off .htaccess?

You should have something like:

AccessFileName .htaccess
<Directory /path/to/htaccessed/directory>
  AllowOverride All
  Allow from all
</Directory>

Rgds,