httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Srtting up permissions questions
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:45:26 GMT
"Lawrence, Sean" wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to set up password
> protection based on user or group ownership of a file
> in Apache?
>
> For example  we have a user who is called project1 and
> we want Apache to prompt for that users username and
> password when accessing directories owned by that user.

On what platform?

Using the system authentication database is *not* a good idea.

However, a recent enhancement to mod_auth allows you to
only allow access if the supplied username matches the owner
of the protected file; use 'require file-owner' or 'require file-group'.
You'll still need to use htpasswd to maintain the mapping
of those usernames with Web passwords, though.

This applies all platforms except Windows, Netware, and OS/2.
--
#ken	P-)}