httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Red Hat 7.2 and Apache
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:59:44 GMT
Kopetzky Robin CIV AFSC/SEP wrote:

> That's not what I want. All of the books I have on configuring/administering
> Apache, show the httpd executable installed at /usr/local/apache. That's
> where I want to keep the new files to make it easier for me to figure out
> but want to configure Linux to load the new httpd executable but not the old
> one at boot-time. There has to be an init???.conf file someplace in the RH
> install that is run a boot-time that can be modified to do this. It took me
> about an hour to find the originally installed Apache executable and have no
> clue as to why Red Hat would not follow industry standards as to install
> locations. Linux is confusing enough for Windows users to learn but to put
> an executable somewhere else other than where 90% of the documentation on
> that file says it should be is just plain stupid.

I don't know why all Linux distributors decide to put apache wherever
they like... Anyway, at least you understand the problem.

I found the cleanest thing to do is to:

- remove the default install completely (i.e. /etc/http etc.)
- compile apache and "make install" so httpd -> /usr/local/apache/bin
and httpd.conf -> /usr/local/apache/conf (you probably already did
this).
- copy the "/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl" script onto the default
"/etc/init.d/apache" script. This is the script which gets executed at
boot and which contains the paths to the httpd binary and httpd.conf
(which you have deduced by now is the key to apache).

To be precise, there is a directory called "/etc/rc3.d" which contains a
script like "S50apache". This is really a symbolic link to
"/etc/init.d/apache". At boot, when the system gets to run level 3, it
goes into the /etc/rc3.d directory and executes every script beginning
with "S" with the argument "start" - so therefore it executes
"/etc/init.d/apache start" which is what you want.

DISCLAIMER: All linux distros are a bit different about this - the
directory might be /etc/rc.local under RH - go to /etc/ and do 'find .
-name "apache" ' to check..

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.