httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Please help ..... thanks ! Cause no one answer my question ?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:52:22 GMT
Kevin Chan wrote:

> Hi Owen and all,
>
> I was attached the IE images from server and client with this email to
> clarify my problem.  Hope it will help you to solve my problem.
>
> Why I can get the data from server if java applet didn't work ?  Please
> teach me how to solve it ....thanks !

The people who get their mail from a server over a modem link might not
appreciate you posting bit-maps. All you had to do was explain things
more clearly...

Just to be clear, a java applet is byte-code which the server sends to
the browser. It is then up to the browser to execute it using its java
virtual-machine. Most Java problems are client-side, i.e. in the
browser. The fact that your applet works when you execute it in a
browser on the server means that the server can produce the data and
deliver it. The fact that the applet doesn't work when it runs in a
remote client could mean many things:

- Java doesn't work on the client (do other applets work?)
- the applet does not make the correct request for data to the server
(check in your access_log to see what the applet is asking for and in
the error_log to see if there are any forbidden or not-found errors).
- the server does not allow access to the data-providing program for
remote machines (look in the error_log for a 403 forbidden error and in
httpd.conf for a "Deny" directive).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.