httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: CGI in users own dirs
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:45:06 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> > > <Directory /home/*/public_html/>
> > >         AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> > >         Options MultiViews IncludesNoExec Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
> > > </Directory>
> >
> > ... but then "Options... IncludesNoExec" overrides what has previously
> > been declared and switches off CGI execution again. Remember that the
> > order of directives is important - in this case the later <directory>
> > container acting on /home/*/public_html/ (and all its sub-directories)
> > overrides what was earlier defined for  /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin/.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is correct or not.  In general, the order of
> <directory> directives in the config file should NOT be important.  Rather,
> directives are applied by going down the tree.  (<Directory /> is before
> <Directory /a> which is before <Directory /a/b> regardless of actual
> config-file order.)  I think this is true even with the simple wildcards.

I'm not sure now either - even after reading
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/sections.html!

First it says: "Apart from <Directory>, each group is processed in the
order that they appear in the configuration files" - which implies order
DOESN'T matter.

Then at the end of the same paragraph it says, "If multiple <Directory>
sections apply to the same directory they they are processed in the
configuration file order" - which could be taken to mean order DOES
matter - i.e. /home/banana applies to /home/banana/kiwi by inheritance.

However, I'm probably being a bit to legalistic here. I guess the second
quote means if you have two *identical* directory containers (but then
again, that would be daft...). So order doesn't matter for <Directory>.

Anyway, maybe if there is ambiguity and you need a lawyer to figure it
out - recast the config and/or re-arrange your directory structure to
make it easier to understand for all - you, apache and the poor guy who
will maintain the code after you...

For Willy: Did you get it working?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.