httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: 2 httpds on 1 server
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:26:02 GMT
Michael Reutter wrote:

> this is, how it works! (I wasn't aware of the "Listen n.n.n.n" command)
> the Listen command does the thing I thought apache can't handle (so it can lookup the
IP *AFTER* processing the request)

Glad you got it working... Just one point however, apache doesn't
"lookup the IP *AFTER* processing the request". What happens is that
when it is started, apache tries to bind to all the IP:port pairs
defined by Listen directives (among others). If successful, apache comes
up with a ear glued to each of these. This is before any requests have
arrived. It then connects each ear to a virtualhost so if it hears a
request on a particular IP:port, it knows immediately which VH to go to
to find the DocumentRoot.

You have to have your machine already configured at the network level to
respond to all the IP addresses that apache is going to listen to before
you start apache (In fact, trying to Listen to a port that is already in
use or unavailable is a "failed to start" offence).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.