httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: 2 httpds on 1 server
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:51:27 GMT
Michael Reutter wrote:

> hi,
>
> for testing a scenario:
> my webserver (a single machine) has ONE name ("webserver"), but TWO IPs (10.0.0.1/2 -
the DNS returns them rotational).
> (in the future I should have two or three machines ...)
>
> is it possible to let one apache run on port 8080 and the second on port 8090.
> when a request goes to "10.0.0.1" it goes to port 8080
> when a request goes to "10.0.0.2" it goes to port 8090

Ummm... I think you're a bit mixed up about TCP/IP. Apache is passive,
it listens for requests on defined IP addresses and port pairs. You can
make apache listen to any address and port using the Listen directive:

Listen 10.0.0.1:8080
<VirtualHost 10.0.0.1:8080>
  VH directives...

However, the default port for HTTP is port 80 so the browser (which is
active) will send its request to port 80 - unless you want to put
"http://webserver:8080/" in all links to your site.

Note that since you are using different IP addresses, you can use the
same port for both virtual hosts. Defining a different IP address AND
port number for different VHs is overkill.

If you want that:

10.0.0.1:80 -> 10.0.0.1:8080

then you need to do address translation *before* you hit apache. That
means a firewall.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.