httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Location box values and domain resolution
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:06:28 GMT
Csaba Gabor wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I have Apache 2.0.28 on Win2K without virtual domains, and I'm experiencing some
behaviour
> that I don't understand.  I hope someone can provide appropriate commentary.
>
> I have two domains at gandi.net, both with redirection (gandi creates pages at redir.gandi.net
> which point to my server at the redirection site).
> MainDomain.com -> http://64.0.57.165
> SubDomain.com -> http://64.0.57.165/Sub1
> ....various redirection troubles.

I didn't take the time to study your message in detail (it is quite
complicated) but I think the problem will be clearer (and may even go
away!) if you use a trailing slash at the end of your re-directs, i.e.

MainDomain.com -> http://64.0.57.165/
SubDomain.com  -> http://64.0.57.165/Sub1/

At the moment, you are forcing a re-direct to a location without a
trailing slash. This causes apache to issue another redirect (with the
trailing slash) using the ServerName argument - which may not be what
you want. This could be why you're getting into a loop.

The trailing slash is quite important and is not just an optional
nicety. The fact that apache works at all without it should be a cause
of wonderment rather than taken for granted :-)

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.