httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fred Atkinson <fatkin...@mishmash.com>
Subject Re: Best way to do this
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could offer the new users a step
by step set of instructions on how to install Apache?

    Could we undertake this project?  We could all offer revisions
and I could try it out on my server to see how well tuned it is before
we published it?

    What does everyone else thing?

    I have plenty of Web space available on my site.  I'd be glad to
put it there.  Or, can we put it on the apache.org site?

                                                    Fred

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 04:15, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> > was composed of people with similar backgrounds - and I've been perterbed
> > by the number of users asking questions that are repeatedly answered in
> > lots of the resources that are commonly available.  My brusque reply was
> > a consequence of what I see as clutter in my mailbox.
>
> Everybody wants to keep the signal to noise ratio high. My comment was more
> on the line of educating the users rather that telling them 'RTFM', even if
> they ask a stupid question. It is better to point them to the FAQ

I agree, this is an official apache USERs list which I
would hope includes naive first time users struggling to
come to terms with configuring apache. Professional and
hard core users know how to rtfm and have a many options,
even carefully selected book(s) to chose from... first
time users have a very narrow set of options and I would
like to think this list is primarily to assist novices,
not experts who can help themselves.

Is anyone considering taking the questions raised on this
list and creating an FAQ based on the answers offerred here ?
FWIW, the most frequent unanswerred question I've noted is
how to set up user perms "the right way". I am unaware of
any "best practices" online guides for apache.

--markc