httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fred Atkinson <fatkin...@mishmash.com>
Subject RE: Best way to do this
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>> From: Richard Shade [mailto:rshade98@hotmail.com]
>
>> I believe that apache should be owned by a non root user such as
>> apache,nobody,ncsa,httpd or johndoe with no permission to login
>> then point
>> the doc root to whatever you want.
>
>Hmmm... We are being a little vague when we talk about "apache" being owned
>by a paritcular user.   If we are talking about the apache binary, then it
>should *not* be owned by an unpriveleged user.  It should be owned by root.
>The "User" and "Group" specified in httpd.conf should be set to an
>unpriveleged user, but that is a very different thing.
>
>For more details:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/security_tips.html
>
>Joshua.

    What I am getting at is running Apache.  Then, creating multiple
domains and directories to point them at.  Next, assigning each subdirectory
to a different user so each user can update their files to manage their
Web site.  Each user would exercise exclusive control over their files
but Apache would be running under a separate user (perhaps root).

                                                Fred