httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fred Atkinson <fatkin...@mishmash.com>
Subject Best way to do this
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
    I have a server and I am running Linux 7.0 on it.

    I want to install the current version of Apache on it.

    I am not sure if it is wise to install it under 'root' user.  Can
you advise.

    What I would ideally like to do is to support multiple domain names
on this server.  I'd like to create a separate subdirectory for each
domain name.  Example:

        Domain Name         Subdirectory            User Owner
        ----------------    ----------------        -------------
        domain1.com         /www/domain1.com        johndoe
        domain2.net         /www/domain2.net        bjones
        domain3.org         /www/domain3.org        jsmith
        domain4.org         /www/domain4.org        bmiller
        domain5.org         /www/domain5.org        gallen
with    Ip address only     /www/default  (in case someone accesses
my site by IP address only, to give them some sort of a raspberry or
etc.).                                              root

    Would it be feasible to do this by installing Apache under the
root user then creating these subdirectories and giving ownership of
the subdirectory to the individual user?

    Please advise.

                                                    Fred