httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bud Hovell <...@uzix.com>
Subject RE: no acceptable variant mystery
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:29:05 GMT
Hi, Joshua ...

> "No Acceptable variant" means that the server tried to negotiate
> with the
> client to deliver a document that the client finds acceptable, but
> the
> server couldn't find an appropriate document.  In this particular
> case, it
> looks like you may have browsers configured without "en" in their
> "Accept-Language".  Therefore they do not find you index.php.en
> acceptable
> and you get the "no acceptable variant" error.  There is a note that
> explains language negotation in detail:
> http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/lang-neg.html

Very helpful notes -- thanks to Alan for the information, and to you for
providing the pointer and comments above. My understanding of the default
negotiation behavior was in error.

> If you are not actually offering multiple versions of the document in
> multiple languages then you should just avoid negotation entirely.

We anticipate other languages to be offered eventually, so we structured
that way from the beginning. It appears I can add an additional link named
 "index.php.php" to avoid this problem -- to be followed by some
confirmation testing.

Again, thanks very much for your help.
---
Bud Hovell