httpd-users mailing list archives

From darren chamberlain <...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: cannot access pages except from my box
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:50:07 GMT
Jason Michelizzi <mich0212@d.umn.edu> said something to this effect on 12/21/2001:
> Both are interesting ideas, but I don't know if they'd work in
> my situation.  My problem is that packets sent from somewhere
> out on the Internet that are destined for port 80 on my ip
> address are filtered out by my service provider.  My machine
> itself is perfectly happy accepting packets on port 80; the
> problem seems to be that the extended LAN I'm hooked to
> intentionally drops these incoming packets.  The solution would
> be to address the incoming packets to a different port before
> they arrive at the network I'm connected to ... but how?  It
> seems this would require my having another ip address out there
> somewhere acting as a proxy of sorts.

Yes, you'd need to set up a machine outside the LAN behind the
firewall; proxy all connections to this machine to your box that
has Apache running on a high port.

Keep in mind that this other box could definitely be running
squid in reverse proxy mode, listening on port 80 and forwarding
to port 8080.  That way you'd gain the advantages of a caching
proxy as well...

(darren)

--
Blore's Razor:
    Given a choice between two theories, take the one