httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Sheeks <sdshe...@isdponline.com>
Subject Re: How do you keep track of logins?
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:34:13 GMT
Has anyone written a mod to capture the login name of a windows users on apache?

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:05:59 -0600 (CST)
sherzodR <sherzodr@cgi101.com> wrote:

--There is a CGI::Session module available at CPAN, which is built to solve
--the statelessness of the HTTP :). Its actually build on Apache::Session by
--Jeffrey Baker, but has much better OO interface (resembles CGI.pm)
--
--The documentation also has several examples too.
--
--Joshua Slive wrote:
--
--  joshua:
--  joshua: > From: Lamar Seifuddin [mailto:lamarts@flash.net]
--  joshua:
--  joshua: > I'm trying to keep track of the number of
--  joshua: > logins:
--  joshua: >
--  joshua: > I'm using the standard mod_auth with .htaccess, etc.
--  joshua: >
--  joshua: > counter.cgi script I wrote, isn't "tied" to login,
--  joshua: > just to the webpage.  I can "refresh" all day long and
--  joshua: > it counts.
--  joshua: >
--  joshua:
--  joshua: HTTP, and HTTP basic auth in particular, is a stateless protocol.  There is
--  joshua: no concept of being logged in and logged out.  If your browser sends the
--  joshua: correct password, it gets the resource.  Your browser must send the password
--  joshua: every time.  It just happens that it remembers the password for you so you
--  joshua: don't have to retype it every time.  So in other words, every hit is a
--  joshua: login.
--  joshua:
--  joshua: If you need to track unique users, you must use cookies or session ID's
--  joshua: embedded in the URL.
--  joshua:
--  joshua: Joshua.
--  joshua:
--  joshua:
--  joshua: The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
--  joshua: See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
--  joshua: For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
--  joshua:
--