httpd-users mailing list archives

From darren chamberlain <...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: 1.3.22
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:16:02 GMT
Michael <michael@bizsystems.com> said something to this effect on 12/13/2001:
> If apache is running on a host with no host name configured with only
> a default virtual host and you send something like:
>
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> hostname: 123.45.67.89
>
> apache returns the page designated for the server root
>
> if instead the request looks like
>
> GET /~someuser/dir/file.html
> hostname: 123.45.67.89
>
> you get
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>
> </HEAD><BODY>
> <H1>Bad Request</H1>
> Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<P>
> client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname (see RFC2616 section
> 14.23): /~michael/labrea/html_report.plx<P> </BODY></HTML>
>

> This does not seem to be the correct behavior. It is not clear to me
> from RFC2616. Shouldn't apache accept the request because it is an
> abosolute URI ???

You need to specify a protocol:

GET /~someuser/dir/file.html HTTP/1.0
hostname: 123.45.67.89

Of course, that may have been just a typo in your example...

Plus, I can't seem to get "hostname" to work, only "host", when
going through a layer 5 switch (arrowpoint CS800); is the
"hostname" header part of the standard, and interchangable with
"host"?

(darren)

--
Nothing worse could happen to one than to be completely understood.
    -- Carl Gustav Jung