httpd-users mailing list archives

From "RuneImp" <r...@imptech.net>
Subject Re: .htaccess issue???
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:15:09 GMT
If you setup .htaccess correctly it you will be
prompted for a login & password via a dialog box.
You can not access any file in a directory that
is protected by an .htaccess file. Thus you can
not use index.html or any other file in that
directory to "login".

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lamar Seifuddin" <lamarts@flash.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 12:07 PM
Subject: .htaccess issue???

Hello All,

This may not be based on .htaccess but
this is the only method that I know of
as a means to restrict user access:

I have a user directory www of which
all of my html files are located.

I created a index.html file that I want
to use to "login" to the rest of the directory
of html files. (all are in www dir)

questions:

1) can I do this without creating another directory
   for the "rest" of the html files?

2) if so, how do I implement this?

3) if not, any other ideas on how to do this?

4) If someone was to bring up my website using a
   Microsoft-based server, will they get the same
   "username, password" restriction?  I don't have
   access to MS server....so I can't test it and I have
   no idea.

thanks for your help.
most appreciated

Lamar